Saturday, May 1, 2010

Collection SS2010: Les Dix Cavaliers

An old legend tells the story of this horseman, riding endlessly across the vast world, never dismounting. Feeding only on the infinite spectacle of the thousand and one countries crossed, he meets nine other solitary horsemen in succession, arriving from every corner of the universe. Then, as if by magic, the ten riders get together and join up to form one single horseman, the carrier of all the legends. Brimming with all their knowledge, this rider continues to traverse the world, until the end of time. To illustrate this encounter, the design of the carre Les Dix Cavaliers has been divided into ten bands, each dedicated to one of the horsemen.

The pattern is reminiscent of the “Le monde est vaste” pattern of last year’s collection, in both concept and realization – with the original canvas “sliced up” and the stripes put back together in an apparent random fashion. Unlike the previous pattern, however, where the softer colours rendered the colour combinations harmonious, the horizontal stripes make this design appear fairly busy, thereby inducing a certain tension in the overall scarf. It definitely requires a strong personality to sport it, as the colours on their own – and the contrasting colour combinations are fairly strong.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Constantianus -- it took me awhile but your blog did inspire me to re-vamp and update mine :) I still need to snap some additional pix and post a few more but regardless my little blog is nothing compare to your thoughtful descriptions! I was in Toronto last summer for the sale and loved it (the sale AND the city!). Did you go? I'll definitely be up for it next year when it rolls around again. I hope you're doing well,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz,

    I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, and I'm delighted to hear that you felt inspired - by Hermes, the sale, the city, my blog... Thank you, that's very kind of you. Do let me know when you're next in town and if your schedule permits, we'll make time to meet. It would be lovely.

    And thank you again for your generous comments, I look forward to providing more inspiring images and words, particularly when I, too, feel inspired hearing reactions such as yours.

    ReplyDelete