Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Hermès Love Story - Collection SS2006: Fleurs et Plumes

I recall vividly how mesmerized I was when I became aware of the Hermès scarves. I was well familiar with the brand, for I have been enjoying the Hermès colognes for a long time (the one distinct element of the Hermès world is the soothing fragrance that fills every boutique, a distinct aroma of discreet scents, emblematic of the "Maison" ("House" as the name a French company with a long-standing tradition likes to refer to itself); my favourites remain "Terre d'Hermès" ("land of Hermes"), which elicits compliments by all who get close enough to "savour" the scent, as well as Poivre Samarcande and Osmanthe Yunnan, two distinct scents from the Hermessence, a private collection of fragrance creations by Jean-Claude Elena), but the sight of all those colourful scarves was something else.  The richness and natural shine of the silk, the palette of colours, the impeccable display and the subtle, heavenly scent in the boutique were all a world apart unlike any other I had experienced before. 



Then there was the unfolding of individual scarves.  It was the first time that I had realized that each one holds a message, to be revealed only to those who take the time to study it, to descipher its secret and interpret its meaning, and this was an experience that I, as an explorer of boundless curiosity, was all too eager to embark on.

Equally vivid is the memory of the feelings this design has triggered in me.  Although not exclusive, my taste appears to be for "organic" designs, such as flowers and plants.  So it is no surprise that during my first visit at an Hermes boutique, I fell in love with a model called "Fleurs et plumes" ("Flowers and Feathers"), issued in 2006.  The background - a soft light orange, so warm and so intense - is so impactful, as are the shades making up the design, that it won me over on the spot. The harmonious combination of various flowers and feathers delicately spread over the scarf in no apparent order is both uplifting and very calming, and it caught my attention and spurred my curiosity and to this day, I take the time to "study" every element of this design without getting bored or otherwise losing my admiration for it.

Thus has begun my love affair with the Hermès scarves. Of course, as the time went by, my knowledge and experience have expanded substantially, as I will reveal in the next posts. Incidently, the designer for this scarf is Leigh P. Cooke, who to date remains one of my favourite designers in the service of Hermès.

3 comments:

  1. who is the she person very special in your life? because I dont remember having any Fleurs & Plumes scarf :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dragul meu, te ador! intotdeauna te gandesti la mine si ma flatezei.cel cu mexicane pe roz legat mi-a placut... toate sunt frumoase, in special cele pe culori vii sau pastel care ma reprezinta.

    cat despre esarfa mamei tale sunt convinsa ca ii vine superb si ii se potriveste ca gen si stil, dansa fiind o persoana clasica si conservatoare.

    ReplyDelete