Saturday, October 30, 2010

L'ART D'ECRIRE

It's certainly been a long time since a scarf design managed to take my breath away - until tonight, when, in search of inspiration for something spectacularly different, I came across "L'Art d'écrire" ("the art of writing").


Having an absolute passion for writing instruments, this design resonated with me instantly.  The irony is that while I haven't been gifted with a beautiful penmanship, I am the first to admire a beautiful writing style.  Or, perhaps, it is exactly because I don't possess it that I admire it whenever I see it.  Or, better yet, because the art is so rare to come by, it's all the more precious.  Either way, I feel a certain harmony and pure beauty exuding from the artistically crafted letters, their shapes, winding on the paper like paths through the valley conjured by mountains, enchanting the eye as do the sounds of violin in the intimacy of a private room.  The path each letter draws is an invitation to discovery, to adventure, to beauty and to higher learning.  Their music render a symphony to those inclined and willing to listen.


Released in 1957 and reissued in 1999 in moussline and in 2005 in silk, this scarf is as contemporary today as it was half a century ago, particularly in pastel colours.  Its timelessness is likely due to the art of writing, which continues to fascinate people all over the world, who embrace it actively and instill its sense of beauty in the future generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment